Looking for Chestnut Horse Names? Here is a complete list of attractive ideas. Chestnut is basically coat colour like reddish-brown. Absence of true black hairs forms chestnut colour. It is the most common colour in every breed. Chestnut comes in different shades like palominos or dark shade in black colour. They can have dark brown eyes and any coat colour resemble brown, red, or black.
Naming Chestnut horse is easy as compared to dun , bay or other rare coat color.If you have new horse , pony or waiting for new foal in your ranch, selection of name is first step.Chestnut name selection depends on mythodology , history and use of name in different languages.Here are some great ideas for chestnut horse.
|Chestnut Mares||Chestnut Stallion||Chestnut Geldings|
|Funny Cide||Rowan||Whisk Broom|
|Easy Goer||Angus||Ben Navis|
Famous Names for Chestnut Horses
Wise Dan, a famous American thoroughbred racehorse that is bred and owned by Morton Fink. This champ started his racing career in 2010 but due to multiple injuries and fractures, Wise Dan had to retire from racing in 2015. In his active racing years, Wise Dan got awarded for three consecutive years. The Eclipse Awards Wise Dan received for three consecutive years are;
- American Horse Of The Year (2012,2013)
- American Champion Male Turf Horse (2012,2013)
- American Champion Older Male Horse (2012,2013)
Wise Dan, that is now being presented for breeding, remained unbeatable throughout it’s racing career. From 2010 to 2015,Wise Dan credited it’s owner’s account with $7,552,920.
Whirlaway was the well-regarded chestnut thoroughbred racehorse that breathed it’s last on April 6, 1953. This triple crown winner was also regarded as “Mr long tail” as he had a noticeably long thick tail. This exceptional racehorse was bred and owned by Calumet Farm whereas Ben A.
Jones polished him up for professional racing. Besides regular wins, Whirlaway won three American classic races; Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, Belmont Stakes as well.
From 1940 to 1942 Whirlaway earned 5th U.S. Triple Crown Champion, TSD American Champion Two Year Old Colt, U.S. Champion 3-Yr-Old Colt, United States Horse Of The Year, U.S. Champion Older Male Horse awards. Whirlaway was buried at Calumet, where he opened his eyes.
Whisk Broom, an American-bred Thoroughbred racehorse, who raced in the United States and the United Kingdom was owned and trained by Harry Payne Whitney and A. Jack Joyner and James G. Rowe, Sr. Whisk Broom started his racing career as a two-year-old in the United Kingdom.
He was brought to the United States to rock the race track at the age of six where Whisk Broom kept on racing until retirement.
This thoroughbred horse retired from racing in 1913 as he became lame after the Suburban win. Later after death, this extraordinary horse was honored by the United States Racing Hall of Fame in 1979. Whisk Broom racehorse was reported to earn $37,931 from the wins.
Funny Cide is a thoroughbred racehorse that appears in informative children’s storybooks called “A Horse Named Funny Cide” and “The Funny Cide Team”. Funny Cide remained and he still is immensely popular as he happens to be the first new york-bred horse to win the Kentucky Derby.
Besides the Kentucky Derby, Funny Cide also won Preakness stakes, which is another triple crown classic race. This Barclay Tagg’s trained horse won $3,529,412 and that is more than the most popular horses on this list. Funny Cide is alive breathing between us under the custody of Barclay Tagg at Sackatoga Stable.
Ben Navis was a British bred racehorse that got it’s image printed on the horse admirer’s mind because of the Maryland Hunt Cup, Grand national, and countless other wins.
This famous chestnut Gelding was bred by A.S. Pattenden in England. Ben Navis started it’s career in England but the remarkable racing journey started in the United States of America. Ben Navis returned to it’s homeland after winning the American race ground in 1979. Ben Navis served his homeland well for 16 years but soon after winning the race by 20, he died of colic. This Hall of Fame inductee was buried at the Grand National Course in Butler, Maryland.
Assault was a Hall of Fame Inductee who was bred and owned by King Ranch. This thoroughbred racehorse won $675,470 during its racing career. Assault was probably the only horse of it’s time that won three awards; the 7th U.S.
Triple Crown Champion, the U.S. Champion 3-Yr-Old Colt, United States Horse Of The Year in the same year(1946). The thoroughbred racehorse couldn’t serve it’s the owner in any other way as he was sterile.
The thoroughbred racehorse faced major kidney, bleeding, fetlock, knee, and splint joint issues during its lifetime. However, Assault was tough enough to overcome these health issues, it instead died from falling(that broke it’s left leg and shoulder) on September 01, 1971. This hero was laid to rest in the King Ranch in Kingsville, Texas.
Arrogate, the famous racehorse that died recently on June 2, 2020, made history by winning Travers Stakes(2016), Pegasus World Cup(2017), Dubai World Cup(2017), and Breeder’s Cup Classic(2016).
This racehorse started his short racing career in 2016 and ended it in 2018 but these active years got him enough fame to be recorded in the books of history. On one fine day in the last week of may when Arrogate was already suffering from a sore neck fell off and this unfortunate event became the cause of his euthanization.
It’s not declared where this racehorse is buried but it can be said with surety that he took his last breath on the Juddmonte Farms.
Easy Goer chestnut American Hall Of Fame thoroughbred racehorse got famous for defeating the American Horse Of The Year Sunday Silence in 1989.
This exceptional racehorse deprived the American Horse Of The Year Sunday Silence of winning the triple crown was bred and owned by Ogden Phipps. The viewers of that time used to admire Easy Goer as a ” big, strong, and athletic horse”.
This thoroughbred horse had everything that is demanded in a racehorse; speed, class, looks, stamina, and pedigree. This chestnut horse earned $4, 873,770 from defeating American Horse Of The Year Sunday Silence and several other world-class racehorses. He left his fans and admirers for eternal peace on May 12, 1994.
Flying Bolt, a famous racehorse that lived from 1959 to 1983, was officially accepted as the second-best steeplechaser of all time. Because of his exceptional racing skills, he was considered the best Tom Dreaper’s trained horse.
This Mrs. Jean Wilkinson’s favorite got awarded several times but the worth-mentioning awards were Champion Novice Hurdler(1964), Champion Two-Mile Chaser(1966), Champion Irish Hurdler(1964,1966), and Champion Novice Chaser(1965). After beating several extraordinary horses at the racecourses, Flying Bolt retired in 1970.
From retirement to death, he spent the entire years in the company of the Cheltenham Gold Cup winner known as “Fort Leney. It’s not clear where this racehorse was buried but the only thing that can be said with 100% surety is that Flying Bolt left us at the age of 24.
Fair played another supernatural American bred thoroughbred racehorse who rocked both racetracks and studs. It’s exceptional history earned him the title of inductee at the National Museum of Racing And Hall Of Fame in 1956.
This American chestnut star was bred and owned by the famous American financier August Belmont Jr. Though he remained unbeatable at the tracks, his successful stud career got him well-deserved fame. Soon after the death of August Belmont Jr. Joseph E. Widener kept Fair Play in his custody till his last breath. This exceptional racer and sire died on December 17, 1929.
To honor Fair Play, the final owner, Joseph E. Widener erected a bronze statue at his grave in Elmendorf Farms.
Male Chestnut Horse Names
Male chestnut need tough names, Here are some male horse names for your chestnut friend.
- Cera – Means red one and best for male horse
- Elmo – Red monster from Sesame street
- Golnar – From the Persian language. Golnar shows a red flower with a center of the flame. It is the badass name and if you are looking for a tough name, ”Golnar” is perfect. Golnar is a male horse name.
- Mars – For red planet.Mars can be used for both mare and stallion.
- Rua – Irish for red color
- Eldur – Stand for ”Fire” Icelandic language
- Dephne – Daphne is a genus with 70 to 80 shrubs with chestnut to red flowers. Mostly appear in Asia and Europe.
- Meatball – Mutton or beef, looking for red ideas? Meat idea was taken from red or chestnut appearance.
- Keegan – Keegan stands for ”Born of Fire”.It is the best to name for all kind of red or chestnut horse breeds. If your horse born in sunrise or sunset, pick this name.
- Rowan – Looking for your foal? Rowan or mountain ashes are trees with fairy red or chestnut colour flowers. They are native to the cool temperate region. Rowan is the best to name for a stallion.
- Vanhi – Stands for ”red” in Hindi language.It is bisexual name.
- Angus – Word for famous Scottish cattle breed.
- Laal – It is a catchy name on the list. Laal is a local word for red in Pakistan. Even in the country , natives used to call ”Laal Horse”
- Redford – You can take inspiration from ”Robert Redford” a famous American actor. Redford is badass horse name for your four-legged friends.
- Simba – Fictional character from ”The lion King”.
- Redina – Extension of red but also a village near Romania.
- Burgundy – A color between red and purple or you can refer chestnut.
- Maroon – A color like red and chestnut
- Rusty – May be extension of rust.A common rust color is light brown to red
Female Chestnut Horse Names
Normally female horses need cute and cool names, here are some cool chestnut ideas for mares.
- Mater – Character from Dinsey’s car or name for tomatoes.
- Pyralis – Pyralis is the classy bisexual name. You can name your foal, mare or stallion with Pyralis.
- Ariel – Fiction character from ”The little Mermaid” with red hairs.
- Miss Frizzle – The Magic shool bus
- Niran – It is basically Arabian name stands from fire.Best name for the Arabian horse, male, female or foal.
- Princess Fiona – A fictional character from ”Shrek”.Fiona is a female character with beautiful red hairs.
- Kalama – Name refers to ”fire torch”.Best name for a chestnut mare with a brighter appearance.
- Annie – Orphan Annie
- Fiamette – Fiery one in the Latin language, best if you have any Latin breed or even for fairy red or chestnut horses.
- Alev – Turkish name for a female chestnut horse. Alev stands for ”flame” so best for the bright chestnut mare.
- Dana Scully – Fictional character from fox science ”The X flies”.Dana Scully is a female character with red colour hairs.
- Ember or Ambar – Ember is hot coal burning from the center.
Chestnut in other Languages
It is easy to pick chestnut name by looking in other languages like red in German , Japanese or chestnut in fellow countries.Here are some ideas.
- Rot – Red in German
- Kastanie – Chestnut in German
- Aka – Red in Japanese
- Kurumi – Chestnut in Japanese
- Redeca – Red in Solvenian
- Marron – Brown in Spanish
- Roja – Red in Spannish
- Castana – Chestnut in Spannish (Best for mare)
- Rouge – Word for red in French language
- Rosso – Red in Italian
- Hong – Chinese for red
- Dearg – Red in Irish Language
Chestnut Horse Names Inspired by flowers
Here are some ideas from flowers, shrubs and trees.
- Sweet Pea
Chestnut Horse Names from Nature
Nature brings perfect ideas.Look in your surroundings and find chestnut , brown or red color things and you will gather catchy ideas.
- Spark – BEST name for male horse or stallion.A fire blow or swag name
- Ruby – A red colored gem
- Apple – From fruit colour. Apple is the perfect name for a stallion. If you want to name a cute idea, apple is perfect for your horse.
- Beets – From sugar beet , a red colored vegetable
- Cherry – A red color fruit
- Garnet – A deep red colored gem
- Blaze – A red colored flame and name for stallion
- Brandy – Chestnut name and famous drink brand
- Cinamon – A special color which is combination of red, chestnut and other color
- Paprika – May be from pepper , a red colored name for mare
- Radish – Extension of red and name is also common
- Tomato – Tomato is red colour fruit or vegetable, if you love the fruity name for your horse, do not miss this name
- Autumn – Full of red and orange leaves
- Roana – Spanish for reddish brown skin
- Gilroy – Gelic for red hair
- Carnation – Special red colored flowers
- Plum – A chestnut colored flower
- Dart – A special kind of fire type frog
- Seahorse – Brown to reddish color water animal
- Capsicum – A special kind of vegetable that comes in fairy red color.
- Nectarine – Similar to shaved peach, a peach without fizz. They can be red or yellow in colour.
- Zircon – Special kind of mineral that comes in chestnut , red brown or any other color
- Coral – Special kind of vertebrates that comes in different shapes and colours but most common is reddish-brown.
- Salvia – Special kind of plant with mint appearance
- Roan – Roan is a special kind of colour that comes in brownish to a red shade. It is basically a coat colour. It is a mixture of coloured and white hairs. You can pick straight ”Roan” as a name for your horse.
- Grulla – Grulla breed also comes in the dun, bay or any other colour. Grulla is the best to name for your stallion.
Naming your Chestnut Horse
Naming any colour horse is easy if you take ideas from the internet, surroundings or ask from fellows. Selection on the base of fellow breeds, famous places, or appearance can bring great ideas. Here are two tips that can help you.
Based on Breed
Some horse breeds have chestnut or red colour. There are a lot of Horse breeds that show red, brown or chestnut colour in their any stage of life. Here are some breeds of colors.
Names from surroundings like make a list of chestnut colour things from nature. Try to pick names from this list. Names from flowers, famous places, famous personalities can bring catchy ideas.
Choose your favorite chestnut horse name and drop in comments.